Cocoa

Cocoa production is a major driver of deforestation, particularly in West Africa where almost three-quarters of the world’s cocoa is grown. Around two-thirds of the world’s cocoa is grown in just two countries: Cote d’Ivoire and Ghana, where around 70% of natural forests have been destroyed in the last 30 years, in part due to the expansion of cocoa farms. Around 80% of cocoa is manufactured into chocolate and other food products, and the remaining 20% is used by pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies (e.g., cocoa butter in skincare products).

Certified Area (Hectares)
Export Value of Commodities from Deforestation (USD)*
Entities Profiled
3,000,000
$10.20 billion
39
  • 23 Cocoa Derivatives
  • 22 Cocoa Beans
  • 05 Chocolate
  • 05 Chocolate Derivatives
  • 01 Cocoa - Cocoa Beans
  • 01 Cocoa - Cocoa Derivatives

Profiles *

Which entities are stepping up - and how do they measure up?

See any omissions or discrepancies? Let us know at info@supply-change.org